Friday, December 15, 2006

world-travelers, we

Sarah just left this morning for the States. I was going to drive her to the airport, but the car we were borrowing wouldn’t start. She took a taxi because her flight was at 6:45 and the first bus from the train station doesn’t arrive at the airport until 6:00. I’ll have this same problem next Thursday when I go home. I’m not sure I’ll take the same solution, but we’ll see.

I tried to go back to sleep after she left, but didn’t quite manage it… partly I was thinking about things I need to write and post here. So I signed on, and found that Blogger has been updated (it’s better integrated with other Google services now), and discovered that there’s a blog being written by a current Peace Corps Volunteer in Togo. Excellent! I thought. It’s even better than I thought, because he has videos! Here’s the latest one, of the market in his town.



From YouTube, you can look at “More from this user” to see other videos. I highly recommend watching the school visit. The conditions of the schools in West Africa are often hard to describe to Americans. Somehow learning gets done, despite the remarkable challenges and lack of resources.

I haven’t read through all the archives yet, because he’s been there for almost a year and a half. But I’m always in favor of resources that can give people a better idea of what it’s like to live there. This (the ability to blog easily) would indeed have been awesome six years ago when I was there. He mentions in a few early entries that there’s far too much going on to effectively choose what to write about. It’s true; every single week, every single day of Peace Corps is charged with experience and activity. For the first several months of our service, Annie and I would meet for dinner every night to debrief and decompress. I’m looking forward to reliving some memories through Aaron’s online records.

I do have things I want to write. All in good time. I hope the Advent season (Christmas shopping season, end-of-fall-semester season, whatever applies) is treating you all well.

No comments: