Wednesday, January 17, 2007

marseillais once more

I’ve just returned from my travels to the States for Christmas and New Year’s. I spent the last three weeks with Hannah, which is the longest we’ve seen each other since the end of classes last spring. (Of course, that’s mostly due to the fact that we didn’t start dating until the beginning of classes last fall, which was five days before I left Ithaca.) We shuttled between our two families, danced and talked and kissed a lot. More details later. But now my clock is set back to CET, my verbal communication will be done via Skype rather than cell phone (I was having to use Hannah’s phone anyway, because I suspended my service for the school year while I’m gone), my coffee is espresso from a cafetière italienne rather than brewed in a French press (which, despite its name, I’ve only seen used in the States and the Copenhagen airport), and it’s time to get back to work. I’m not yet sure what I’ll be doing this spring, since a calculation I made before leaving in December reduced our hopes of obtaining the result we were looking for to essentially nothing. I’m preparing a talk for the Teichmüller seminar on other topic, however, and questions abound that require addressing.

Happy New Year to all.

No comments: